November 3, 2009

Work in Progress--Convertible Gloves/Mittens

My boyfriend is one of those hearty northeastern folks who like to go the whole winter without a proper coat. Instead, he piles on layers of thermal shirts, button-ups and flannels and hopes for the best. A few years ago (before we were dating), I insisted on making him a hat. This winter, I decided he needs some gloves.
I combined two patterns to make fingerless gloves with a mitten flap. I used almost the entire pattern from the Flap-Top Mittens pattern from Melanie Falick's Handknit Holidays. The other pattern is a fingerless glove pattern from, I believe, Weekend Knitting, which is another Melanie Falick title. I have knitted both of these patterns before, so I felt comfortable combining them. The only real adjustment to the Flap-Top Mitten pattern I had to make was that after I knitted the flap, I had to increase 12 sts so I would have the right number of stitches for the fingers. I did this by doing an m1 k1 m1 increase at the beginning and middle of the row (corresponding to the sides of the hand), followed by a row of all Knit stitches, until I had increased 12 stitches. Easy! Then I just followed the pattern for the fingers.
I don't have a clever name for these yet. Fingerless mittens? Glittens?
Two views of the same mitten. I'm still working on the second!

1 comment: